For full information about the NZ Art Guild, its services and to become a member go to NZ Art Guild
Tuesday, 19 January 2010
Big New Zealand art exhibition to mark Battle of Monte Cassino in Italy | infonews.co.nz New Zealand's local news community
These challenges are a fun way to get you thinking and creating in new ways. They are not compulsory and you can enter as many or as few as you like. New challenges are loaded every fortnight so keep checking back!!! Entries completed before the deadline will be posted here on this blog.
Sunday, 17 January 2010
We are currently seeking expressions of interest from NZ Artists who are interested in an exciting opportunity to exhibit in Italy in May 15 - 29th 2010. The vision of this exhibition is to spread the message of world peace. The theme is "Peace" and "Remembrance" in memory of the fallen soldiers and civilians in Italy, particularly those involved at the Battle of Cassino where many New Zealanders fought and lost their lives during World War II.
The exhibition, hosted by the Cassino Comune, will be held in the Biblioteca Comunale Pietro Malatesta, Via Del Carmine, Cassino (FR), and the venue, promotion and invitations will be funded by the Cassino Comune. It is being co-ordinated by the NZ Art Guild and Kay de Lautour Scott, a New Zealand artist living near Cassino.
1) Artists need to have an association with the Battle of Cassino (ideally) or World War II.
2) Artists work needs to be of a professional high quality and artists will be selected based on their portfolios/artwork images presented.
3) Artists are invited to attend in person (self funded)
4) There is no charge to be involved with this exhibition but artists will need to be self funding for transport and insurance of artworks to Italy. (We are currently seeking sponsorship for shipping costs).
5) Artists and their families will be encouraged to visit the battlefields, war cemeteries and other places of interest in the area. Tours to the battlefields and museums will be arranged to suit individuals.
Assistance can be available to find appropriate accommodation in or near Cassino, and with organizing travel arrangements within the region (English is not widely spoken in the Cassino area).
Please contact Sophia Elise by 29th Jan 2010 - firstname.lastname@example.org (Cassino as the subject) if you are interested in being involved with this fabulous project and if you require more information.
WINNER - PEOPLE'S CHOICE
Anni Morris - The Green Hat
Friday, 15 January 2010
An innovative opportunity launched via facebook by American based Jewellery Company, Bajidoo, has seen New Zealand Artists gain international exposure for their artwork in a unique way.
The opportunity to be a Featured Bajidoo Artist was available to artists all around the world. Only 7 artists will be selected for the first half of the year and 6 of the artists announced so far are all members of the NZ Art Guild.
Chavah Kinloch, Sophia Elise, Rachael Inch, Sharlene Schmidt, Ronda Turk and Lauryne Hart have been selected as feature artists 2010 to have their original artwork made into beautiful and inspiring Bajidoo bangles.
In 2000 Bajidoo Bangles became henna inspired works of art. Their Hand Painted Bajidoo Bangles are among the most unique forms of artistic expression available anywhere in the world, each one is individually hand crafted. In order to create bangles from artwork the Bajidoo designers go through a process of redesign and adaptation and then apply the new design to wooden bangles. They are often very detailed and further embellished with crystals or other stones.
Chavah Kinloch’s graffiti artwork won an NZ Art Guild Art Challenge last year and was the first artwork selected.
Sophia Elise impressed Bajidoo with her “aboriginal feel” and the inclusion of the natural elements such as the use of flax mat in her artwork.
Bajidoo describe Rachael Inch’s art as lively, colorful and engaging and combined two of Rachael’s artworks to create this bangle.
Sharlene Schmidt‘s music inspired artwork caught the eye of Bajidoo and they have their eye on several other pieces.
Lauryne Hart’s colourful art left Bajidoo “beyond words” describing her as art phenomenon that you must see to truly appreciate.
As featured artists they receive the original bangle based on the original image which has been reformatted and adapted by Bajidoo as well as commission on sales of their bangles.
To see all the Bajidoo bangle designs and to purchase go to www.bajidoo.com and click on featured artists on the left hand side. The prices range from $62 - 90 NZD (dependant on the exchange rate)
For More Information about Bajidoo
We hope that you have a fantastic Christmas and New Year and that you even may have managed a break away somewhere nice.
2010 has got off to a roaring start for many of our members and we look forward to sharing their exciting news with you in the near future.
Until then we just wanted to share with you a couple of opportunities for artists that we have been notified about.
NZ Art Guild Member Dennis Clark has announced his teaching and workshop schedule for 2010. These classes are taught in Dennis Auckland Studio and fill up quickly so you must book. Follow this link for more information
NZ Art Guild Member, Award winning artist, Ingrid Boot is holding an art workshop on Friday 12th or Saturday 13th Feb. Come along to a one day workshop for tips and techniques to improve your art. Find out how to see, translate and transfer your inspiration onto canvas. Learn in a fun and relaxed environment, at the spacious light filled Gallery Q. Gallery Q is situated in the new Waimauku Village opposite the turn off to Muriwai. For more info contact either Ingrid email@example.com or Lena at Gallery Q firstname.lastname@example.org
Cost: $70 for the day (10 - 4) lunch included
NZ Art Guild member Steve O'Neill (Christchurch) is helping to organise "The Oarsome O’Fare"
What is it?
- It is the big fund raiser for all Christchurch based secondary school rowing clubs.
- A gala cocktail party and silent auction hosted by McKenzie and Willis (a large upper market furniture and home goods show room).
- Tickets: $15 incl wine and nibbles.
- When: 19th Feb 2010
- Each school sets up a stand to host their donated items for the silent auction.
- There is generally around 2000+ people that attend this fund raiser over a 3 hour period.
- The type of people attending generally are an artist target audience!!! Paintings were hot items last year.
What Steve is asking for (on behalf of St Bede's College) is donations of art work.
- Generally most of us have some art that hasn't sold, this would be a good opportunity to move these pieces and provide some exposure to this cliental.
- Artists can include business cards to be put with their artworks.
- Unsold art can be returned to the artist or retained for future fundraisers - this is up to the artist.
Deliver art to Steve by Monday 15th Feb:
115 Francis Ave, St Albans, Christchurch
Any Questions phone
Steve Cell: 021 942 698